Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Toughest hike I've done thus far

A few weeks back I did the toughest hike I've yet done. It was to Mt. Blanca which is another 14,000 foot peak in Colorado. I woke up at 2 AM to do my sadhana, then at around 3:00 AM I picked up a couple friends and left one behind who didn't wake up. We arrived at the destination and started walking around 5:45 AM. It's probably supposed to be a 2 day hike, but we did it one day. We arrived back at the car at 7:30 PM, after walking almost the entire time up and down a mountain. Then we drove back to EspaƱola. We started around 8,00 feet which was below the tree line, walked to the pine forest, the aspen forest, and then above the tree line.
Here is the first view of the mountains at around 5:00 AM. You might want to click on it and view a larger size to see anything.
P1090575
P1090576
By the time we parked it was just light enough to start walking.
P1090577
P1090578
In the beginning of the day, I kept thinking we were making serious time and distance. This was us just above the valley where we started, maybe 1/50th of the way there.

In the next few days I'll post more pictures from this trek. I'll probably post them in order to sort of re-create the journey online :-)

No comments: