Monday, April 28, 2008

pre L.A. Baisakhi

I had wanted to attend the L.A. Baisakhi for a few years now, because I remember going to it when I was a kid (1988). And I remembered it being really big and exciting and seeing a lot of Sikhs. Well it took another 20 years but I made it back. Actually the trip was paid for even :-) Because the night before the L.A. Baisakhi was a function in Bakersfield where we did a Bhangra performance. It's funny because Bhangra is not necessarily one of my favorite things to do, I mostly do it for the exercise. We have a really excellent choreographer (Ravi Kaur) who studied Bhangra in India. I just do as she says and that makes me good enough to be in a troupe and travel :-) I don't have any video or pictures of the Bhangra, but I have a few pictures of the event.
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
The mayor of Amritsar was there because Bakersfield is now a sister city with Amritsar. The mayor of Bakersfield was also there as well as a large gathering of the Punjabi/Sikh community of Bakersfield.
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
The event was in a really big hall. Most people sat in the middle area, going many rows back.
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
There was some interesting scenery driving from L.A. to Bakersfield. This was a hill that had a bunch of little yellow and purple flowers.
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
We drove through some hilly areas.
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
The next day we were off to the L.A. Convention center for the Gurdwara, which was great!
L.A. Baisakhi 2008
Near the convention center we saw this advertisement getting painted. It's really HUGE.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery, and not what I expected for that region (never been there). The gorse (?) covered hills remind me of Scotland, actually.

The LA Baisakhi pictures are lovely as well...it's such an inspiration to see Sikhs come out in such numbers.

Prabhu Singh said...

Thanks for the comments :-)
The whole experience for me was great, I definitely hope to go back in other years.