Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Our community

I was just reading an article on Sikhnet and I read a comment saying that we should be promoting the turban to our own community first. It reminded me of that "feudal" mindset that I was referring to before. "Our" community meaning people of Punjabi descent that were born into Sikh families.
It then reminded me of something my friend Gurujot Singh Ji mentioned to me. He said, you never saw the Siri Singh Sahib trying to 'reclaim' the youth or target the wayward Punjabi community to become Sikhs. Instead he spent his entire life in dedication to the Guru and taught the message of the Gurus. He reached thousands upon thousands of people, some of whom were Punjabi and from Sikh families, many of whom were not (like my parents).
I encourage the sangat to look beyond feudal boundaries and human divisions. To see that the meaning of Ek Ong Kaar, is that we are all one and that God is one with all. There is no Hindu, there is no Mulsim, as Guru Nanak taught. There is no Sikh as a "religion" either, Sikh is a student of truth, it is not a way to classify ourselves as anything separate from any other human.
Nanak Naam Chardi Kala, Tayray Bhanay Sarbat Da Bhala.

2 comments:

Roop Rai said...

:)

I would really appreciate your comments here.

Anonymous said...

Well said Prabhu, Skhi is not property of Punjabu Sikhs like me, it belongs to the whole world.