Thursday, August 16, 2007

Message from the Guru

ਬੇਦੁ ਬਾਦੁ ਨ ਪਾਖੰਡੁ ਅਉਧੂ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਸਬਦਿ ਬੀਚਾਰੀ ॥੧੯॥
Bėḏ bāḏ na pakẖand a­oḏẖū gurmukẖ sabaḏ bīcẖārī. ||19||
This true hermit does not enter into religious debates or hypocrisy; the Gurmukh contemplates the Shabad. ||19||

ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਜੋਗੁ ਕਮਾਵੈ ਅਉਧੂ ਜਤੁ ਸਤੁ ਸਬਦਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੀ ॥੨੦॥
Gurmukẖ jog kamāvai a­oḏẖū jaṯ saṯ sabaḏ vīcẖārī. ||20||
The Gurmukh practices Yoga - he is the true hermit; he practices abstinence and truth, and contemplates the Shabad. ||20||

ਸਬਦਿ ਮਰੈ ਮਨੁ ਮਾਰੇ ਅਉਧੂ ਜੋਗ ਜੁਗਤਿ ਵੀਚਾਰੀ ॥੨੧॥
Sabaḏ marai man mārė a­oḏẖū jog jugaṯ vīcẖārī. ||21||
One who dies in the Shabad and conquers his mind is the true hermit; he understands the Way of Yoga. ||21||

Full shabad at: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=907&L=17&id=38958

I can definitely learn from the first line, because I've entered 'religious debates.' I've made the mistake of debating, but usually my initial purpose is to provide a perspective that other's may not know about. Sometimes I feel like the voice of reason is being stifled or false propaganda is being spread and I enter a "discussion." When it turns into a debate I fall in the trap of defending "my" point of view. I'm sure my ego has come into play sometimes. I think in the future I will join discussions, but if my point is not valued, I won't defend it or debate about it.
We'll see how it goes.

Guru Amardas also says (ang 124):
ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਗਾਵੈ ਗੁਰਮੁਖਿ ਨਾਚੈ ਹਰਿ ਸੇਤੀ ਚਿਤੁ ਲਾਵਣਿਆ ॥੧॥ ਰਹਾਉ ॥
Gurmukẖ gāvai gurmukẖ nācẖai har sėṯī cẖiṯ lāvaṇi­ā. ||1|| rahā­o.
The Gurmukhs sing, the Gurmukhs dance, and focus their consciousness on the Lord. ||1||Pause||

Full shabad at: http://www.srigranth.org/servlet/gurbani.gurbani?Action=KeertanPage&K=124&L=19&id=5089


Guru Nanak has stated: "The Gurmukh practices Yoga"
Guru AmarDas has stated: "The Gurmukhs sing, the Gurmukhs dance"

I can already imagine all the people telling me I've taken it out of context. I provided links to the shabads where these quotes come from, so they can be understood in context. Within the context of the shabads I believe these statements can stand alone.

I highly recommend reading both shabads completely. Of course I would recommend anybody to read more Gurbani :-) The first shabad describes several things that I wouldn't have understood without having studied yoga.
We really have such an amazing Dharma and the Siri Guru Granth Sahib is filled with treasures that we barely understand or fully appreciate. The Guru has blessed us immensely.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it is very important to have discussions over debates and put forward our persepectives, and once we have explained it thoroughly then we should not get into the mode of winning the debate. Because then everyone's ego comes forward and our thought process is clouded from further contemplation of that issue.

Ego is very powerful thing. Whenever I feel that I am getting angry over something then it might be my ego dictating not my mind. understanding this has made me little cool headed person.

I have learned that everyone is different and their level of reasoning is going to be at a different level, therefore, some people can only understand first order things.

However, there are people who have the agenda to misguide others and these kind of people will provide proof that there is no gravity etc..... Because these kind of people just want to take advantage of other people just for money, or sex.

So, I think it good to put forward our views then stop thinking about that issue, because I rather think about waheguru.
my quick random thoughts and there might be some typo errors... sorry
G

Gurjeet Singh said...

Guru Ji is speaking about Yog.. misspelled as Yoga. Yog is a state of mind because Guru Ji tells us to take it under control and believe in the basic human instinsts guided by Lord. Yog is a state of Gursikh's mind. Here its not said to do some kind of asaan or something. Gurmukhs dance: it means they are so libersted their mind has settled down on that yog of the divine so they sing Lord's praises and their way of life is just like a peacock that is dancing in the rain... its a state of mind. I myself do yoga and meditate there is nothing wrong but I just thought of clearing the words and phrases.

Prabhu Singh said...

Gurjeet Singh Ji, a lot of people put forth the interpretation that you have given. It's very popular, but it's still an interpretation. If we literally follow what Guru Ji is saying, then we know that Gurmukhs sing, dance, and practice yoga. I think what you are saying is true, but I think generally the whole Granth can be taken literally AND figuratively.
Yoga isn't just about asanas there are many aspects to yoga, asanas are just one small part. Still there are several yogic asanas promoted by the Gurus, such as vir asan and sukh asan.

Anonymous said...

The bottom line is to Follow the teachings of SGGS with devotion, seva etc. How it is done should not matter. obviously seva and simran can be done many different ways, so we should focus our minds how to reach high levels rather than keep on critizing or keep on finding faults.

I think its upto us, Do we want to waste that time in finding faults or rather spent time doing seva and meditation.

Choice is ours and Results depends upon our actions taken by us.

So, lets NOT take the JOB of Guruji of judging others, rather accept differences while striving to reach higher levels with the grace of God.

G