Thursday, April 26, 2007

Happenings

First I want to remind everybody that I'm going to New York this weekend, so if you see me at the Sikh day parade don't forget to give me a hug.
Also I wanted to mention that on Tuesday night I went to an awesome concert in Santa Fe. I had seen the performers before and they are totally excellent. I saw Zakir Hussain and Shiv Kumar Sharma. For those who don't know Zakir Hussain is probably the best tabla player in the world (or at least one of the best) and Shiv Kumar Sharma is an incredible santoor player. They played two Indian classical raags during the concert. Zakir Hussain can do things on the tablas that I've never seen anybody do. If you've never seen him, you might not even know what's possible with tablas.
During the intermission I was hanging out with some other members of the sangat who came to the concert. I was standing in between Sopurkh Singh Ji and Sat Darshan Singh Ji, a short distance from Snatam Kaur Ji. The lobby was crowded during the intermission so there wasn't much room to go around people or get anywhere. A tall young woman tapped me on the shoulder. I looked and she indicated that she wanted to get through. I moved and she saw Snatam Kaur and said "I just wanted to tell you that your music brings something very special to my life." Snatam Kaur Ji who is very humble, seemed to blush a little and said "thank you."
Most of Snatam Kaur's music is Gurbani or mantras from Gurbani and I was really happy to see this interaction where a random stranger, who is not a Sikh, has been touched by the Guru's words. I'm proud of Snatam Kaur Ji and all other Sikhs who share the inspiration that we've been gifted with the world.
WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

3 comments:

manpreet kaur said...

Sat Nam!

Trying again to leave a comment on your blog (trying since the blossom pictures, but in vain)
Zakir Hussain is really wonderful, my friend A. Singh is a great fan of him so once i was able to see him on stage. What an artist!

Have a safe trip to NY! Won't be there, but i give you a cyber hug anyway!

Balbir Singh said...

"Gurbani and in Raags"that's the greatest gift our Gurus have given to the mankind.
Thanks and lots of love.I wont be there to give a big hug.
Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa,
Waheguru Ji KI Fateh

Anonymous said...

hey bro
got any pics of the concert? please do share
peace