Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Not a shining moment

I just went to the following website:
http://www.myfootprint.org/
and I went through the survey. I was figuring I would do pretty good, because I compost all my organic waste and I recycle and generate very little trash.
Actually I've lived in my current residence for over two years and have taken my trash out 4 times. Just 4 times in two years, whereas they come to pick it up weekly. I carpool and I don't shop or consume much more than food.
I didn't do so well and found out that it would take 4.6 earths if everybody lived like me. What really nailed me were two things that I really wish I could change, but are somewhat out of my control. The main thing that really nailed me was the acreage (ecological footprint) required for my residence. Because I live alone! I really don't like living alone, but I don't really have room for a room mate so there's not much I can do about that. The other thing is that almost none of the food that I eat is grown locally and a lot of the food I buy has some kind of packaging. I wish I could grow all my own food.
So good luck with the quiz.

6 comments:

Adi Singh said...

Very interesting! I got 2.9 planets. I think a lot of that has to do with my family. My wife and I have five kids all living in our relatively small home (1950 square feet). I know there's more I could do to reduce packaging and I could take public transportation more often as well.

Anonymous said...

I got 3.6 planets...interesting quiz! I can see why it is not so shiny :P But it definitely makes you conscious of how you are contributing to the world.

Sifar said...

2.9 planets is what I got. Gotta work on it...

Anonymous said...

woah!!... if everyone lived like me we would need 1.0 planets!! i think thats because my dad's a bus driver so i got a free unlimited bus pass.

Prabhu Singh said...

WaheGuru!
I'm happy to know that you all are doing so well. It makes me think though that the regional averages or whatever it is that the quiz uses is unfair to me, because it just guesses the food I use and resources I use for my house. It doesn't know that I compost all organic waste, recycle and that I generally heat only my bedroom in the winter time (I live by myself, and I see no reason to heat the rest of my house). Someday I'd love to see myself completely off the grid and growing my own food. By God's grace (and my brother's help) I and the people of EspaƱola (or at least the sangat) will improve our environmental impact. I already use compact flourescents throughout my house and encourage everybdoy to use them (my electric bill is around $30 and that's mostly the refrigerator).

Anonymous said...

Dont feel bad. That test is realy inacturate.I had me and my enviormental science proffessor checked it out. The biologically productive acerage is wrong and there are problems with the majority of their statistics.