Thursday, April 13, 2006

Current Topic

I just happened to post a picture from the Baba Atal tower the same day that an article was published on Sikhnet.com that talks about the destruction of art at the tower. I saw the bathroom tiles while I was there and they are pretty awful. I had read articles and discussions last year, so when I got to the tower I said to my brother "Oh these are the bathroom tiles everybody's been talking about."
Kar seva being done next to the Baba Atal tower.
Work that will probably be preserved, because it is on the outside of the tower.


More painting. I'm no historian or preservationist, but I think this painting is probably okay because there are no frescos being lost here.
These two pictures are from Parvinder's house. He was telling me about the bricks that his place is built from. He said they are called Nanak-shahi bricks.

3 comments:

Sikhi Seeker said...

That art-work is exquisite, I'm glad it'll remain. As for the Nank-shahi bricks, I don't know what they are either, but I remember my dad mentioning that those were used for the art direction in one ofthe Hindi movies on partition, called "Pinjar" (which means skeleton, based on a punjabi novel by the same name by Amrita Pritam, if I am not wrong). I'd like to know what the difference is with the bricks...I'll share if I find out.

SikhsRus said...

I didn't know such a name existed for bricks, but I remember from my visit to Kartarpur in 1978 or so that bricks on the buildings that were present around the time of Guru Nanak were smaller and thinner than the ones that have been used in the last century or so all over Punjab.

upinder kaur said...

Similar bricks are also seen at Gurudwara Fateh Garh Sahib - Chhote Sahibzade's Shahidi Asthan( Sirhind, Punjab).These bricks are caled 'Sarhandi ittan'(bricks) Unfortunately most of the old bricks have been replaced by Marble and tiles. The historical wall is also distorted.This heritage has not been preserved, efforts should be made to preserve whatever little is left.