Friday, January 27, 2006

Parvinder Singh Khalsa

Parvinder Singh and his daughter.

Speaking of the Khalsa family... This man has soooooooooooooooooooooooo much GYAN.
He is the Gurmat teacher at Miri Piri Academy in Amritsar (a part time job).
He knows so much about Sikh history and the Sikh way of life. In addition to all the knowledge he has from Gurbani and living as a Sikh, he has done a lot of research as well.
He knows authentic history. When I asked him about women being a part of the Panj, he started to list off women in history who were part of the Panj. He knows these historic facts from really old texts which he's had the privilege of viewing. He told me in the future he may be able to take digital photos of some old texts to document them. He has also had the privilege of reading Guru Gobind Singh's handwriting on several occasions and recognizes it immediately upon viewing.
He is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo humble also.
Sikhi has a great future with people like him. Sant Sipai.
He told me a story when he took several students from Miri Piri Academy to do Ishnaan seva at the Hari Mandir Sahib. They were boy students, but their beards had not grown in yet. The other sewadars didn't want to allow the students. There were about 30 men trying to debate with Parvinder. The students didn't know Punjabi, so it was Parvinder by himself who had to stand his ground. He said they kept trying to make excuses, but at the same time they knew that he knew Gurbani and could refute any of their false claims. They were so stubborn, but they didn't even want to attempt to reference Gurbani, because they knew they had nothing. Eventually they let all the boys except one in. They felt by keeping out the smallest they had won a victory.
I spent as much time as I could with Parvinder, while in Amritsar. He also does a lot of seva. He has a group of friends who do charitable works. He warned me about other charities, that are very corrupted. I don't want to offend anybody by naming the corrupted charities or the witnessed corruption, but I will say they are the famous charities that people know about. The corruption is so disgusting, because the people who are supposed to receive aid are victimized more, and the generosity of the donors is betrayed.
Parvinder though has the highest ideals of seva in mind. He just has a group of friends, without any formal organization, and they directly help those in need. After the Hari Mandir Sahib, my best times in Amritsar were with Parvinder and I'm blessed to know him.
WaheGuru Ji Ka Khalsa, WaheGuru Ji Ki Fateh!

10 comments:

Raminder Kaur said...

Waheguru Ji!

That's really interesting what Singh Ji says about women being part of the punj. Do you know which texts he was referring to? It would be awesome if more information like this would be made public.

Does he recommend any texts that we can get our hands on, to learn about gurmat, etc?

He seems like an incredible gursikh. May He bless us all with such sangat. May Guru Ji keep him in Chardi Kala.

Anonymous said...

Hello,
during my last two visits in about 20 years, the corruption has creeped into every thing and every organization. People like him are the reason i still have hope. I came to the same conclusion, i just helped ordinary hard working people who didn't want handouts but working in the lowest paying jobs.

Anonymous said...

Hi Prabhu,
I know you like music, check this sikh child prodigy of tabla:

http://video.google.com/videosearch?q=rohan+tabla&so=0

Inderjeet Singh (UK) said...

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Je Ke Fateh!!

Hey Bharji, i agree with...Parvinder Singh is an amazing Singh...he has a lot of Knowledge.

Me and another Singh met him last year in august...we also met his family...very nice people.

Also had some kurta made from him...which were much better than other tailors.

There are only a hand full of people in this world like Parvinder Singh.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Je Ke Fateh!!

Sikhi Seeker said...

I liked Parvinder ji even before I read your comments. I love that picture. So before the description, he seemed like an adorable and very humble father and man. Your account makes him much more significant.

Just like Raminder Kaur ji, I'd love to know as to what texts he was refrring to, cuz this is one of the most common allegations that shovel around. It'll be a great piece of information to know and keep.

I hate to hear about the corruption in the charitable institutions. It's one of the most menial sins. I don't know how things exactly work for the Pingalwara institution. I only hope from far that things are always in Satguru's light of goodness and running in Bhagat Puran Singh's original spirit of kindness and sellessness.

You've truly had a good trip overall. I'm so glad!

Satnam Waheguru.

Sikhi Seeker said...

*selflessness

Preet said...

Nice blog Prabhu Ji.
and what beautiful beautiful photos! you seem like quite the explorer! espanola looks stunning! id love to come visit...hmnnn...maybe i could look you up, eh?!! ;o) i promise im not some psycho bibi(even thou my husband cares to differ!!)!!! ;o)

ps many thanks for droppin by my blog

Prabhu Singh said...

Parvinder mentioned to me a (the?) Sikh reference library, which has limited access. He wasn't allowed to make copies of texts, but he said in the future he may be able to take digital photos. I just got an email from Parvinder today, and he sent me photos of Baba Bakala. I will post those in the near future. When I think of the Hari Mandir Sahib, Anandpur Sahib, and Parvinder Singh, I miss India a lot. Someday I'd love to spend significant time in India, but it is hard because I couldn't eat that healthy there and the pollution was really harming me a lot. I grew up with the cleanest air and the most beautiful skies (evidence is located in this blog). Also I'm a country boy, who likes open spaces, less people, nature, and a slower pace of life. Also there are a lot of more subtle energies which are harder for me to be aware of when there are so many people with different energies and agendas. In many ways Amritsar feels like home. It feels like the home for my soul, but the place of destruction for my body. My body is the temple of the soul during this human experience and so I must protect it. My soul also belongs in this holy land. There are only two places on earth that feel like home, New Mexico and Punjab. My karma has been to reside in this land that protects my body and nourishes my soul. God has blessed me with so much.

Anonymous said...

please visit my website http://parvinder.50megs.com
-Parvinder Singh

Prabhu Singh said...

To be clear the Parvinder Singh who left the comment and blog address above ^^ is different than the Parvinder Singh that I know and have posted a picture of here.