Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Firefighter for a night

Last night I looked out my back door and saw a glowing light. I thought somebody was trying to mess with me by driving into the field behind my property and pointing their headlights at my house. When I realized the source of light, I was pretty surprised. I called 911 right away and before the fire department got there I had my garden hose and was spraying the fire.
Appearantly somebody thought it would be very amusing to light my neighbor's condemned trailer on fire. Which sits literally 10 feet away from one side of mine. If the other side of the trailer was lit on fire, my place may have been on fire before I noticed the fire. Also my gas line is only about 12 feet from this trailer. Just to the right of what you can see in this picture is my place and the gas line. Also you can see that I had a pile of weeds along the fence line, which caught on fire. I was making pretty good progress with my hose, on putting out the weed fire and the trees between their trailer and my place, when the fire department got there and put out the fire in the trailer. I had to then spread my weed pile out, because there were embers that were still burning at the bottom of it. After spreading the weeds out some of the embers got enough oxygen to light more on fire and the fire fighters sprayed it for me again. The fire started around 9:00 last night. It was so hot standing there with my little garden hose, but I had to protect my place, and I think I did a good job.

7 comments:

Sat Purkh Kaur Khalsa aka Chiara Huddleston said...

Wow! I'm glad you're okay and you're property didn't explode in your sleep! Yikes. Guru is watching out for us all.

manpreet kaur said...

Sat Nam!

Thank God you are safe!!!
Is this fire-creep still running around or is he caught one way or another?

love

Prabhu Singh said...

I didn't see anybody, but somebody else called the fire department (or 911) as well and said there was a woman in the place. They are going to try and trace the call.
I knew the cop who came out, he's a nice guy that I used to see at the gym. I told him about the other cop who handled the case when I was robbed and he was sympathetic. The other cop didn't do anything, even though he probably knew who robbed me (the usual suspects). Nobody messes with me personally. I'm friendly with everybody in my neighborhood. When I was robbed it was clearly junkies because they took all my electronics and none of my antique kirpans or antique rugs. They didn't destroy anything but the window they broke to get in, it wasn't personal, it was for quick drug money. I think people know that I'm friendly, but they also know not to mess with Sikhs. It was a long time before that lesson was learned (by experience), but the people of EspaƱola generally don't try to hurt us any more. It was only a fringe part anyway, most people here are nice.
This fire was just the case of somebody getting kicks at the expense of others. It could also be the former residents who lived there that lit it on fire. I don't think anybody will be caught for this act.

Siri said...

hey Pra... thanks God you are safe... Im sure your "job" is not only with your garden but with your soul... you did more than that!!! keep praying dear...

Sikhi Seeker said...

Firstly, I'm glad to see you're ok and that so is ur dear property! But this incidence and the robbery episode, along with your comment: "but the people of EspaƱola generally don't try to hurt us any more" (any more being the focus)...makes me skeptical about the safety issues in Espanola. Oh, and i haven't forgotten how well secure your home security is :P
God bless!

Vicky Singh said...

wow.. Im glad that you and your place is fine. Any updates on how the fire started?

Anonymous said...

Yikes. and this is why when you live in Espanola (or NM in general) you always have a hose in your yard!
I remember one year we set fire to a pile of weeds on 4th of July w/ a firework, hehe, thankfully the hose was in reach ;)

*amritjit