Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Albuquerque Gurdwara

This past weekend I was in Albuquerque and I went to the Gurdwara. There is a really small sangat in Albuquerque, yet they've managed to get a building for a Gurdwara. When I lived in Albuquerque (2000-2001) while I was in college, I got to know the sangat there and when I go back I always feel like I'm part of the sangat, especially since it is so small and everybody knows each other. They were really happy to see me and I did kirtan (something I have yet to do at my hometown Gurdwara). I mostly play kirtan at my house so I still get a little nervous in front of people and I did make a couple mistakes, but nobody really minded which was nice. They want me to come back, at least once a month, and bring others. It's hard though because I usually nap after doing ishnaan seva in EspaƱola and when I wake up and meditate I only have time to get dressed and go to the Gurdwara that is 4 minutes from my house. Also I love the Gurdwara in EspaƱola so it is hard to not go there when I have the opportunity.
With such a small sangat it is usually the same people playing kirtan, and they don't have a well-trained tabla player. It just so happened a young man from Delhi visited on this Sunday and played tabla really well.




Jai Inder Singh is so cute. He is taking a picture of his brother who is in the next two pictuers.

Raminder Singh.
The kitchen where langar is prepared.

No comments: